Monday, October 4, 2010

F in Participation?!

NO WAY. I think it is because of my lack of blog-posting, so here we go. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is an amazing book. It really made me appreciate my life. From growing up in a segregated and horribly racist community, to being taken advantage of and eventually raped by her mother's boyfriend, to finally learning about herself in ways she never knew and having a son because of it, Maya Angelou's life was incredibly eventful. Not always in a good way, either. I give Maya a lot of credit for the hard life she lived. As I was reading this book I related times in my life to it, and thought, I had it so lucky. When my parents divorced, as a six year old, I thought my world was over. However, being sent on a train with no adult as a six year old in the same situation with just tags around your neck is much worse. I am extremely lucky to have the life I do, considering my parents divorce. Many kids don't have nice lives, just like Maya, when their parents don't stay together, so it makes me proud that I have been able, thanks to my mom and step dad, to keep my life organized and sane, even. I feel like if I didn't have my parents to influence me like they have(for the bad qualities as well, mind you), I would have had a fall just like Maya did. However, towards the end of the book, she picked herself up again, and I give her props for that as well. It's not easy to pick up your life from something bad, and it took a lot of determination and bravery on her part.

Well, I think this post is sufficient. I hope everyone else loved their third book. However, I know it was not as good as the one that Lisa, Kelsey, and Alex chose with me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment