Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Busniess math bores me.....

so i'd much rather write on the blog! So 1984 is definetly one of my favourite books. I'm still surprised that they allow high schoolers to read it with it's sexual content, yet not allow us to watch R rated movies. Why just last week I tried to check out One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the movie, from the library, and as a 17 year old...who has student directed the play, watched it constantly on youtube, and has read 3/4of the book (got distracted) I could not check it out. Yet, in a public high school we can read about Winston Smith getting busy with a 50 year old hooker. Flaw in the system? I think so.

3 comments:

  1. Definite flaw in the system. Did you know that at some stores you have to be 18 years old to buy a PG-13 movie. I think that is another flaw.
    I really like 1984 too but Catch-22 is my favorite and probably will stay that way for the rest of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love catch 22! But when it comes to books I don't really have a favourite, I have books I love and recommend, books that are ok and won't probably read again, and then I have books that I just can't get into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1984 is consistently on the "Banned Book" list. Several schools find the content offensive and inappropriate for young readers. Fortunately, this has not been an issue at Bridgman. And the memory of the prostitute is not nearly as gratuitous as Orwell could have made it. The thought is disturbing, yes, but the details are pretty tame.

    ReplyDelete